Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"Why School?" Book Club Post #3

The most interesting thing that Mike Rose wrote about is the accuracy of IQ tests. I think that people tend to rely too much on determining intelligence with IQ tests. There is only so much these tests can tell you about someone's knowledge. I liked that he made the point that tests are not the most important things in school because tests can't determine it all. He thinks that the values we learn in high school are more important than how we do on tests, which I agree with. Some people are not good test takers so it's hard to say that somebody learned a lot based on their test scores. For example, some people are better at essay writing than multiple choice or vice versa. Some systems should be changed to determine somebody's intelligence rather than tests, and I think teachers are starting to change their lessons to incorporate every student's strengths.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the problems standard tests cause. I am terrible at these tests and it has always been a problem for me when it comes to graduate school entrance exams. Administrators and faculty complain about these tests but they still use them. I wonder if that will ever change.

    NW

    NW

    ReplyDelete